The positions below are all positions established in the bylaws of the Kaneland Youth Soccer Organization (KYSO). These job descriptions are modified from that document.
The President is the principal executive officer of the Corporation and carries out the directives of the Board. The President’s duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Presiding at all meetings of the Board of Directors.
• Being in charge of the business and affairs of the Corporation;
• Executing for the Corporation any contracts, deeds, mortgages, bonds, or other instruments that the Board of Directors has authorized to be executed.
• Coordinating the activities of the Board.
The Vice-President assists the President in the discharge of his/her duties and will perform those duties in the absence of the President.
The Treasurer is the principal accounting and financial officer of the Corporation.
The duties of the Treasurer include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Being in charge of and responsible for the maintenance of adequate books of account for the Corporation;
• Being in charge of and having custody of all funds and securities of the Corporation, and for receiving and disbursing all funds associated with the operations of the Corporation;
• Reporting to the Board on a monthly basis the financial status of the Corporation.
The Secretary is the official record keeper of the organization. The duties of the Secretary include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Notifying all board members of meetings of the Board of Directors and distributing meeting agendas;
• Recording the minutes of the meetings of the Board of Directors in one or more books provided for that purpose and sending approved minutes of meetings of the Board of Directors to each board member;
• Ensuring that all notices are duly given in accordance with the provisions of these by-laws or as required by law;
• Acting as custodian for the corporate records and of the seal of the Corporation;
• Maintaining a register of the post office address of each member which will be furnished to the secretary by such member;
• Performing all duties incident to the office of secretary and such other duties as from time to time may be assigned to him by the President or the Board of Directors.
The Director of Registration is responsible for the planning and implementation of seasonal registration of all players in KYSO Recreational Soccer. The Director of Registration is also responsible for selecting and coordinating signup locations and volunteers. In conjunction with the Director of Recreational Soccer and the Director of Coaching, the Director of Registration establishes the rosters for balanced teams at each age level.
The Risk Management Coordinator is responsible for the safety of all participants in KYSO-sponsored activities. The Risk Management Coordinator’s duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Ensuring the safety of all field equipment, including goal posts and nets.
• Ensuring that IYSA policies regarding medical release, IYSA Disclosure Forms, and other forms are followed.
• Overseeing compliance of recommended adult-to-child supervision, including conducting criminal background checks on all volunteers coaching and/or supervising minors.
• Ensuring that first-aid kits and Incident Report forms are available to all coaches and at the principal field site.
• Advising participants of dangerous weather and other potentially unsafe conditions.
• Developing any and all Emergency Contingency plans.
The Director of Recreational Soccer is responsible for assuring a balanced program of soccer for all participants as defined and limited by these by-laws, KYSO facilities, and finances.
The Director of Recreational Soccer will also
• Developing and providing age level-appropriate developmental objectives and general policies.
• Defining and publishing specifications, rules, and conditions of participation for all types and levels of competition that are defined for a given season.
• Designing the playing format for the Recreational program, specifying players on the field, duration of games, etc.
In conjunction with the Director of Registration and the Director of Coaching, the Director of Recreational Soccer will establish the rosters for balanced teams at each age level. In conjunction with the Director of Coaching, the Director of Recreational Soccer will develop and implement Coach Training programs.
The Director of Travel Soccer is responsible for overseeing all aspects of the KYSO Travel Soccer program. The Director of Travel Soccer is also responsible for
• Recruiting coaches for teams at a variety of age groups;
• Conducting coaches meetings and training;
• Acting as the point of contact for all Travel coaches and serving as a liaison between KYSO Travel and other travel soccer organizations;
• Assisting with the administrative functions of the annual travel tryouts and organizing a roster book containing the basic information for all travel coaches and teams;
• Designing and administering the Travel program tryouts;
• Hiring trainers for the Travel teams.
The Director of Travel Soccer will also serve as or appoint a Registrar for the travel program.
The Director of TOPSoccer is responsible for overseeing all aspects of the TOPSoccer program. The Director designs the playing format for the TOPSoccer program. The Director also devises and implements age-level appropriate developmental objectives and policies. In conjunction with the Directors of Registration and Coaching, the Director of TOPSoccer establishes the rosters of balanced teams at each age level.
The Director of Coaching is responsible for ensuring proper and instructional coaching at all levels of the KYSO Recreational Program. The duties of the Director of Coaching include, but are limited to, the following:
• Facilitating the recruitment of coaches for all KYSO Recreational Soccer teams;
• Establishing developmental guidelines and training priorities for each age level;
• Providing initial education and training clinics for all KSYO coaches;
• Developing and maintaining coaching manuals for all levels of play in KYSO;
• Providing appropriate continuing coaching education opportunities on a regular basis.
In conjunction with the Director of Registration and the Director of Recreational Soccer, the Director of Coaching will establish the rosters for balanced teams at each age level. The Director of Coaching may also recruit and appoint Assistant Directors of Coaching for the various age divisions in Recreational Soccer. The Director will also work to provide a funnel of Recreation players to the Travel program.
The Director of Referees is responsible for fair, impartial, consistent, and qualified refereeing throughout all recreational games officially scheduled and sanctioned by KYSO. Additionally, the duties of the Director of Referees include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Coordinating referee certification clinics and testing programs for all referees;
• Scheduling qualified referees at all KYSO Recreational league games for both fall and spring seasons;
• Conducting referee meetings as necessary during the course of the year.
The Director of Referees provides the treasurer a monthly report of expenditures. It is desirable that the Director of Referees have attained at minimum the USSF Grade 11 Recreational Youth Referee Instructor certification in order to conduct referee training.
The Director of Playing Fields is responsible for identifying, preparing, maintaining and developing KYSO’s recreational and travel game fields. The Director is also responsible for ensuring all goals and nets are safe, secure and functional per appropriate guidelines. The Director of Playing Fields also schedules the regular striping of all KYSO-maintained fields.
The Director of Purchasing handles all purchases for the organization, including but not limited to soccer-related equipment (ie, soccer balls; coaches’ bags; uniforms for players, coaches, and referees; goal posts, corner flags, etc.) and equipment necessary for the maintenance of playing fields (ie, paint, lining machine parts, etc.). The Director maintains an accurate inventory of all equipment and materials.
The Director of Equipment will be responsible for maintaining and ordering all KYSO equipment. The duties of the Director of Equipment include, but are not limited to the following:
• ordering a sufficient quantity of additional and replacement equipment for all recreational teams.
• maintaining an accurate inventory of all equipment during and between playing seasons (e.g., balls, bags, cones, pinnies, binders, pumps, goalkeeper gloves, etc.).
• ensuring that all equipment is functional and ready for distribution (including washing all pinnies and goalkeeper shirts after the season).
• packing and distributing all coach bags with appropriate equipment and paperwork for each team prior to the advent of each season.
• receiving and inventorying all returned coaches' bags at the end of the season.
The Director of Equipment will work closely with the Director of Purchasing to ensure that sufficient quantities of equipment are available for distribution.
The Director of Volunteers oversees all parent volunteers associated with the organization. The Director of Volunteers recruits, organizes, and manages volunteer activities prior to and during the playing season. Some of these activities might include, but are not limited to, organizing volunteers to perform the following tasks:
• organization, packing, and distribution of coaches’ bags
• distribution of player uniforms
• field layout, maintenance, and lining
• working registration tables to sign up players
• planning and promoting KYSO picnic for all players and coaches
• cleaning up the fields after game days
• selling KYSO logo gear and spirit wear on game days
The Director of Volunteers works closely with the Directors of Coaching, Equipment, and Purchasing to coordinate the multitude of volunteer tasks associated with the operations of the organization.
The Director of Sponsorship and Fundraising is responsible for all activities and programs related to fundraising and sponsorship for the organization. The Director strives to generate collaborative financial relationships with potential new and/or existing sponsors and to provide fundraising opportunities for the organization that are profitable to all for the future growth of the organization.
The Director of Communication and Publicity is responsible for all activities and preparations pertaining to publicizing fall and spring recreational season registration and travel team tryouts to ensure the continued growth of the organization. The Director strives to generate goodwill for the organization by planning and directing programs designed to promote positive public image of KYSO activities in and through local media outlets, schools, and KYSO families.
The Director of Concessions purchases all necessary items related to the sale of concessions on game days. The Director may recruit and supervise the staff of the concession stand. The Director of Concessions keeps records of purchases/sales and reports to the Board at the monthly board meetings. The Director of Concessions also arranges for the cleaning, storage, and transportation of the concession trailer.
The Director of Special Events organizes team picture days in the fall and spring seasons. The Director is also responsible for organizing any event using KSYO funds and promoting the positive image of the organization.